Tuesday, 31 January 2017

A Local Habitation (October Daye #2) by Seanan McGuire




The real mystery here is: why do I want to keep reading when this is so bad?
The answer is that McGuire has some real writing talent, even if this book failed spectacularly.

For instance: Toby should not be a detective. She's not just bad at interpreting clues to solve crimes. She's bad at using the simplest common sense in day to day life , every second of every day.
This woman was sent by her liege to check on his niece who hadn't been picking up the phone/calling back. She gets there and the niece says the uncle hadn't been picking up the phone/calling back. 
I'm not even going to put this under a spoiler because that would be insulting you guys, but it takes her until page 280-something out of 377 to figure out that someone was interfering with the phone lines. 
She does stupid shit after stupid shit, ignores the most blatant clues - the killer shows up and any reader with a brain from that very page on goes, "That's the murderer". 

It was soooo frustrating to read a book where not only Toby, but everyone else was tstl. 

The thing is, Toby is tstl, inept, unable to interpret emotions/actions from those close to her, just a plain mess of idiocy. ...but I like her?!
McGuire, wtf?! How do you do this?!
Now I have to read the rest of the series >:(

Also I have a senseless hatred for Connor, I know nothing about him, he seems nice, and I can't stand him. I don't know why :/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Back To Top